There’s no doubt about it: Santa and the elves work in a busy operational environment. Think of the millions of presents being built, complicated systems shifting presents around large storage warehouses, and many risks associated with speedy, round-the-world delivery! Also: fatigue from working non-stop and in a part of the world that doesn’t get much daylight in winter.
Ok, Santa travels in a sleigh – not the sort of transport we’re used to – but this quiz shows that staying safe is important wherever we work, and there are lots of ways to report concerns whether you’re in Lapland, London or Lancashire.
There can be more than one right answer for each of the questions below.
1. One of Santa's elves is concerned that a co-worker could be putting them all at risk by not sanding and painting toys in a controlled area for fumes. Who can he tell?
- a) The elf and safety manager (health and safety manager)
- b) His line manager
- c) CIRAS
- d) Police
2. An elf sees that his colleagues are not using the right working at height procedure when going to the top shelf. Who can he tell?
- a) CIRAS
- b) Stay Safe & Elfy – the internal Lapland safety reporting app
- c) His line manager
- d) The elf and safety manager
3. Rudolf the reindeer has noticed Santa has a drink-driving problem. Should he tell CIRAS?
- a) Yes
- b) No – it is a real-time incident as it could put lives at risks instantly: Santa’s, the reindeers’, and any people he might crash into
- c) No – as it is a personal issue, it may not be possible to keep Rudolf’s identity confidential
4. Santa’s sleigh has a faulty heater and he’s worried he’ll be too cold to concentrate while driving. Who can he tell?
- a) No one because he is the boss
- b) Stay Safe & Elfy – Lapland’s internal safety reporting app
- c) The elf and safety manager
- d) CIRAS
5. An elf has noticed a co-worker is using illegal substances to stay up all day and night to reach the workplace targets. Can he report this to CIRAS?
- a) No – it is a real-time incident as it could put lives at risks instantly
- b) Yes
- c) No – as it is a personal issue, it may not be possible to keep the elf’s identity confidential
See below for the answers.
Answers: 1. a, b, c; 2. a, b, c, d; 3. b and c; 4. b, c, d; 5. a and c